5 Most Common Tort Claims in Michigan
Slip and fall: Michigan property owners owe a duty of care to the people they invite on their property. This means the property must be reasonably safe for someone to move about. It doesn’t mean you have to fix any and all problems, but you do need to make sure you adequately warn someone of all potential dangers. Here are some simple ways to avoid costly slip and fall claims on your premise:
• Mop up spills
• De-ice your walkways
• Shovel snow
• Post signs in front of hazards
Dog bites: Did you know that last year insurers paid more than $1 billion in claims to victims of dog bites, with over 830,000 attacks requiring medical attention? Every 40 seconds someone in the U.S. seeks medical treatment for a dog or animal bite, and dog bites disproportionately affect children under 13 years of age, with the most vulnerable group being 5 to 9 years old.
Our firm has handled hundreds of Detroit and Metro Detroit dog bites over the last 30 years. If you’ve been bitten by a dog, we’ll help you recover the money you deserve.
Car, motorcycle, bus, truck, snowmobile accidents: Let’s face it, automobiles can be dangerous. Crash accident claims are very typical in Michigan. Drivers owe a duty to all other drivers to drive safely, but that duty is often breached. If you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s poor driving, contact our firm and let’s talk about some potential recovery avenues.
Birth trauma: Did you know roughly 800,000 people in the U.S. live with Cerebral Palsy, and that many of their cases were preventable? If your family is suffering because of a doctor’s wrongful actions, there are roads to recover and make the life of the child easier. Call today for a consultation. You often don’t pay until there’s a recovery.
Negligence: Many tort claims are centered on this thing called negligence. Negligence is a duty that requires all people to act reasonably in all circumstances. Greater duties are often owed depending on the relationship of the parties. If someone’s actions caused your injuries, talk to one of our negligence lawyers and we will see if you have a viable claim to pursue.
Goodwin & Scieszka is a Southfield, Michigan personal injury law firm that specializes in tort law claims. We’ve been fighting for over 30 years, and we want to fight for you.
Check out some of our settlements:
• Numerous settlements and arbitration awards well in excess of millions of dollars
• $1.8 million dollar settlement for Motorcyclist who was hit by truck,
• $1.4 million for a pedestrian struck by City of Detroit bus,
• $1.4 million award against drunk driver.
• $1.4 million for an underinsured motorist award,
• $1 million for child injured on a hayride,
• $985,000 underinsured award for a rear seat passenger who was injured in an auto crash and was ejected from his vehicle,
• $800,000 auto crash where client suffered closed head injury
• $1.1 million propane explosion at private home and
• $625,000 for a homemaker struck by a school bus.
If you’ve been injured, then we’re here for you when you need us most. Call today…