How to Avoid a Hospital Infection
Oh, the irony. You go to the hospital because you were in a car accident and end up with a hospital infection. What a bummer to be sicker than you started.
You have to remember that fungi, bacteria, and viruses are a part of life. But when you put these naturally occurring micro-organisms in a place where people are already vulnerable due to sickness, the chances of catching a hospital infection greatly increase.
Who is most susceptible to catching a hospital infection?
- Young children
- The elderly
- People with weak, or weakened, immune systems
- People with open wounds
Common infections include urinary tract infections, wound infections, pneumonia and blood stream infections. Resistance to vaccinations and staph infections are also fairly common, but these are much harder to treat.
How can you avoid catching a hospital infection?
- Wash your hands and politely remind others to do the same. If you’re sick or injured, your friends and family will understand that you’re only trying to get better as quickly as possible
- Ask family to avoid visiting if they are ill
- Notify doctors if your wound has worsened or your bandages have gotten wet
- Let your physician know if your drainage tubes have loosened or become dislodged
- Follow all of your doctors instructions to a “T”
Goodwin & Scieszka is a personal injury law firm located in Southfield, Michigan. Our firm wants you to remember that if the health of you or a loved one has suffered because of a doctor’s medical malpractice, then you may be entitled to a settlement or financial compensation. If you believe you have been the victim of medical malpractice, it is important to contact an experienced Michigan lawyer as soon as possible. Too many medical malpractice victims don’t receive the compensation and justice they deserve because they don’t reach out to a knowledgeable Michigan attorney. Medical malpractice cases can be long, difficult and confusing for those unfamiliar with the court system. We have the expertise, drive and determination to get you the settlement you deserve.