Wichita Man Injured by Exploding E-Cigarette

Wichita Man Injured by Exploding E-Cigarette

by / Monday, 02 November 2015 / Published in Personal Injury

Jonathan Reser from Wichita has recently stated that he and his family are lucky to be alive after his e-cigarette exploded. Reser’s fiancé encouraged him to stop smoking cigarettes, and he believed that e-cigarettes would be a great alternative. Instead, Reser ended up with a burned hand.

Reser says that he read the manufacturer’s instructions prior to using the e-cigarette and followed all of them. He said that he heard a sizzling sound after he had charged the e-cigarette. Reser also said that before he pushed the button on the e-cigarette, it blew up into two pieces. The explosion caused the plastic and metal to scatter throughout the room and burned his hand. The pieces of the e-cigarette also penetrated the walls in the home.

This is not the first time that an e-cigarette has exploded. In fact, there was a report released by FEMA in October 2014 that stated e-cigarettes can explode when the lithium battery fails. According to the report, there were 25 incidents of e-cigarettes exploding in the United States between 2009 and August 2014.

Nine people have reported being injured as a result of exploding e-cigarettes, two of whom suffered serious burns. Fortunately, no deaths have been reported. The vast majority of these incidents occurred while the e-cigarette was charging.

In England, an 18 year-old bartender’s dress caught on fire as the result of an e-cigarette explosion. She was serving drinks, and her dress caught on fire after she came in contact with a co-worker’s e-cigarette. In February 2012, a former veteran’s e-cigarette exploded in his face while he was attempting to smoke it. The man lost his teeth and a portion of his tongue as the result of the explosion.

One woman in Oklahoma stated that she had brought e-cigarettes because she wanted to stop smoking. She did not get a chance to use the e-cigarette before it exploded. The e-cigarette exploded when she took it out of the box. The woman said the explosion sounded like a gun.

FEMA has stated that e-cigarette explosions are rare. However, they have given people tips on things that they can do in order to cut the risk of an e-cigarette explosion. FEMA has stated that it is important to follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions before using e-cigarettes.

Additionally, FEMA recommends that people use a power source that is approved by the manufacturer. An explosion can result if a lithium-battery that is not approved by the manufacturer. The construction and shape of e-cigarettes are two of the things that make e-cigarettes more likely to explode than other products with lithium batteries.

The report estimated that there are 2.5 million people in the United States who use e-cigarettes. That number is increasing. E-cigarettes are a popular choice for people who are trying to give up cigarettes.

 

TOP