What Are Some Common Medical Malpractice Law Suits in Michigan?
Medical malpractice is an area of the law that concerns healthcare. Medical malpractice happens when a doctor or healthcare provider is negligent in handling your medical care or the care of a loved one. It is a serious situation that can have acute consequences for the victims and their families.
Nearly 200,000 people are killed every year by medical errors in the United States, and between 15,000 and 20,000 malpractice suits are brought against doctors and healthcare professionals every year.
But what are common medical malpractice lawsuits?
- Birth trauma. A birth trauma involves a child being born with a serious impairment of a limb, internal organ, or their cognitive functions as a result of some act by the hospital that wouldn’t have otherwise occurred except for error.
- Improper surgery. Surgeries are performed everyday and there’s always a chance for mishap. Sometimes these mishaps could have been prevented had another professional performed the surgery.
- Wrong medication. When you rely on a doctor’s advice and take a medication that you shouldn’t have been taking, it can seriously affect your body and you might have a cause of action against that doctor.
- Unsanitary conditions. Hospitals are supposed to be as clean as possible to prevent the spread of illness, disease, and infection. If you’ve contracted some sort of ailment because of an unsafe and unsanitary condition, then you likely have a cause of action against the hospital.
- Misdiagnosis. Misdiagnosis affects you and your health. If you’ve been told that you have a disease or are suffering as a result of something that’s not true, then you, again, might be able to sue your healthcare professional.
- Inadequate staffing. If the hospital is ill-equipped to handle the influx of patients that are coming through its doors, then it can lead to serious injury. They need to bell well staffed so you can reasonably rely on their medical advice without suffering from their lack of planning.
- Incorrect prescription. It happens often, and when it does, then our firm is here for you.
Goodwin & Scieszka has been handling medical malpractice cases for over 30 years. We have a reputation as fierce fighters, and we are compassionate for your injuries. If you’ve been injured in a hospital in Detroit or Metro Detroit, then we are here for you. Our office is located in Southfield, Michigan and our doors are always open. Get the recovery that you deserve.