2013’s Biggest Personal Injury News Story: Royal Oak Gas Explosion
Do you remember it?
Arguably the most newsworthy personal injury that occurred in Metro Detroit in 2013 was a giant home gas explosion in Royal Oak.
Daniel Malczynski, 58, and his dog were killed by the accident, which occurred in February in his Cooper Street home. The victim was an employee at the General Motors Lake Orion plant. Dozens of nearby houses were also harmed as a result of the explosion.
Consumers Energy was charged $340,000 by Michigan’s regulatory services. Bill Schuette, Michigan’s Attorney General, also announced that Consumers Energy will pay $1 million to create a disaster relief fund.
This story deeply saddened the Metro Detroit community. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim, his family and friends.
According to Consumers Energy, here are some important facts about natural gas:
• Natural gas is colorless, tasteless, odorless and nontoxic.
• A “rotten egg” odor is added before natural gas reaches your home to make it easier to recognize.
• Natural gas cannot burn by itself. To burn, natural gas must be mixed with air. It also must have an ignition source such as a pilot light, match or an electric arc from a light switch, motor, doorbell or telephone.
• Burning natural gas will not explode. If natural gas does ignite, let it burn. Do not attempt to put out the flame.
• Natural gas is not LPG. Liquefied petroleum gases, such as propane, are different from natural gas because they are heavier than air and collect in low places. Natural gas is almost 40 percent lighter than air.
If you or someone you know has been injured as a result of a natural gas explosion in Detroit or Metro Detroit, contact our offices.
We’ve been fighting Michigan personal injury claims from our Southfield office for over 30 years. If you’ve been injured, we’re here for you. We specialize in the following areas, plus many more:
We handle any and all injuries. We are compassionate about your injuries and tough on the person or people that hurt you. Contact us today; our personal injury attorneys are standing by ready to take your case.