Avoid a Dog Bite
Goodwin & Scieszka is your Michigan dog bite law firm. If you’ve been following our blog, then you know that we have been heavily writing about Craig Sytsma, a man from Metamora Township, Michigan, who was tragically killed as a result of a two dog attack while on an evening run just two weeks ago. He was killed by two can corsos.
According to DogBites.org – a website dedicated to dog bite statistics, legislation, and awareness – here are the percentages of dog bite stats by the breeds known to cause the most attacks:
The combination of molosser breeds, including pit bulls, curs, rottweilers, presa canarios, cane corsos, mastiffs, dogo argentinos, fila brasieros, sharpeis, boxers, and their mixes, inflict:
- 81% of attacks that induce bodily harm
- 76% of attacks to children
- 87% of attack to adults
- 72% of attacks that result in fatalities
- 81% that result in maiming
- Embody 9.2%+ of the total dog population
It’s no coincidence that the dogs which killed Mr. Sytsma last week are listed. Certain breeds have aggressive tendencies. Dog bites and attacks are traumatic experiences, and those injured often suffer lifelong injuries and even psychological problems.
Did you know that Michigan is a strict liability dog bite state? Take a look at the Michigan dog bite law:
287.351 Person bitten by dog; liability of owner.
(1) If a dog bites a person, without provocation while the person is on public property, or lawfully on private property, including the property of the owner of the dog, the owner of the dog shall be liable for any damages suffered by the person bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.
At Goodwin & Scieszka, we use our blog as a place to update you about relevant news stories to our practice, as a place to voice our opinions about the law, and to inform you about our services.
If you’ve been injured by a dog bite you may be entitled to a settlement or financial compensation. After a dog or animal bite it’s very important to contact a Michigan attorney as soon as possible. Don’t risk waiting. Witnesses, victims, medical care providers, and police may not have a clear memory of your dog bite accident and circumstances weeks or months after. Get the justice you deserve.
The personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Goodwin & Scieszka handle other kinds of injury cases, like workers compensation claims. Contact us if you have been injured due to others’ negligence to see how we can help you be compensated fairly.