Homeowners Insurance Coverage & Slip and Fall Accidents

Homeowners Insurance Coverage & Slip and Fall Accidents

by / Monday, 24 December 2018 / Published in Personal Injury
Insurance policy form with pen, calculator, and glasses

Home is supposed to be a place where people feel safe. Even when not in your own home, people don’t generally feel in danger when visiting the homes of their friends or family members. But every year, millions of people are hospitalized as a result of falls and many of those falls occur in homes. If you’re injured in a fall that occurs in someone else’s home, are your injuries covered by the property owner’s homeowner’s insurance policy?

Homeowner’s insurance policies can step in if a person is injured on a policyholder’s property and slip and fall accidents are just one type of accident that can potentially be covered. However, like any other type of injury, insurance will only step in if the slip and fall accident meets certain circumstances.  While homeowners have a responsibility to keep their property free of any unnecessarily dangerous conditions, that doesn’t mean they’re liable for every single type of injury that occurs on their property.

A big factor in whether or not a fall could be covered by homeowner’s insurance depends on if the homeowner was negligent in some way. For example, if you were injured after tripping over something like a loose shoelace, the owner would not be liable since there is nothing they could have done to prevent the accident. But if the accident was the result of something like poorly maintained sidewalks, a loose floorboard, or a dark stairway, those would be more likely to be covered by a homeowner’s insurance policy.

However, even if an accident was caused by a condition on another person’s property, that doesn’t necessarily mean the owner was negligent. The homeowner also would have had to have been aware that the condition existed, or at least reasonably should have been aware of it, and had a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem.

If you’re injured after falling on another person’s property and they have a homeowner’s insurance policy, making a claim through them will be your first step. The homeowner should readily provide the necessary information about their policy to you. If the property owner doesn’t have a homeowner’s insurance policy or refuses to provide the information to you, contact a slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.  Even if you are able to get the information to make an insurance claim, it’s still a very good idea to contact a lawyer for help with your case. It’s important to remember that insurance companies have a vested interest in paying out as little as possible and don’t necessarily have your best interests at heart. A lawyer will be able to make sure you get all the compensation you need to fully recover.

The Law Offices of Goodwin & Scieszka is not only experienced in working with victims of slip and fall accidents, we’re experienced in dealing with insurance companies. Contact us today and find out how we can help you.