Defective Products in Michigan
First, let’s ask, what is a defective product? A defective product is a product that does not function according to its intended purpose because of a design or manufacturing flaw. A defective product can also be caused by a manufacturer’s failure to adequately label the product.
A manufacturing flaw occurs when, for example, a bad hair dryer gets through production and shocks a customer that uses the dryer after buying it from a retailer.
A defective design claim means that there’s a much more feasible method of designing the product line as a whole, and had the product been designed better, the injury could have been avoided.
There are various factors a court will look at in making a defective design determination:
- (1) that the severity of the injury was foreseeable by the manufacturer;
- (2) that the likelihood of occurrence of injury was foreseeable by the manufacturer at the time of the distribution of the product;
- (3) that there was a reasonable alternative design available;
- (4) that the available alternative design was practicable;
- (5) that the available and practicable reasonable alternative design would have reduced the foreseeable risk of harm posed by the defendant’s product; and
- (6) that the omission of the available and practicable reasonable alternative design rendered the defendant’s product not reasonably safe.
The failure to adequately warn a consumer means that a product’s labeling scheme was ineffective to warn the consumer of the product’s dangers.
If you have been harmed because of an unsafe or defective consumer product you may be entitled to a settlement or financial compensation. Let our Michigan lawyers fight for you. Don’t try to take on huge corporations and insurance companies by yourself. We have the resources, skill and experience to get you the justice you deserve. Our Michigan attorneys will investigate any defective product case free of charge until or unless we win money for you. You can trust we will fight for your rights in all personal injury cases, like unsafe workplace injuries. Remember, at Goodwin & Scieszka we fight for you.