Can You File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against the Government? | Scott Goodwin Law

Can You File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against the Government?

by / Wednesday, 24 January 2024 / Published in Personal Injury
Scales of justice statue in front of a bookshelf.

Personal injury lawsuits can be made against a wide range of parties. Often, they’re filed against a specific person, but they also often involve businesses and other organizations. In some cases, they might even involve the government, whether it’s at the state, local, or federal level. For instance, this might happen if a child is injured while attending a public school. Or, if some slips/trips and falls while in a government building or while on other property owned by the government. It could also happen if a motor vehicle accident involves a bus operated by a government agency or another type of government-owned vehicle. 

If you’re in a situation where you need to consider making an injury claim against a government entity, it’s critical that you contact a personal injury lawyer for help right away. Time is of the essence. Whether it’s a slip and fall, a car accident, or any other type of personal injury case, lawsuits that involve the government can be much more complex than lawsuits against individuals or privately owned businesses. It’s important to understand that government agencies and employees are often protected by immunity which prevents them from being sued, but lawsuits can be filed in limited circumstances. For example, in cases involving the federal government, the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) allows lawsuits to be filed if someone is injured in an accident caused by an employee of the federal government or while on government property. 

If you are eligible to file an injury lawsuit against the government, there are strict deadlines that apply and special procedures that need to be followed, which is why it’s so important to contact an attorney right away. Typically, deadlines in cases involving the government are shorter than in cases that involve private citizens and other non-government entities. There may also be special notice requirements that need to be met. If deadlines are missed or proper procedures aren’t followed, you likely won’t be able to collect damages. 

Contact a Michigan Personal Injury Lawyer

If you’ve been injured in an accident of any kind, Scott Goodwin Law is here to help. We’re here to help accident victims get the justice they deserve. We handle a wide range of accident cases, including car accidents, medical malpractice, dog bites, and workplace accidents. Contact us today for a free consultation to get answers to your questions, learn more about your legal options, and find out how we can help you.